“Failing to plan is planning to fail.”
Denis Waitley is quoted as saying “the reason most people never reach their goals is that they don’t define them, learn about them, or even seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do along the way, and who will be sharing the adventure with them.”
Much of the thrust of my coaching is in assisting clients to define their goals, learn about them, and come to believe that they are achievable. You also need to develop specific plans of how you will accomplish each goal.
Writing your ideas down is essential to making them happen! Seeing your goals in black and white makes them come alive. Writing down your goals and a plan of action for achieving them creates a “road map” to guide you on your journey.
The following exercises can provide a tremendous boost toward success. Choose the statements you believe will help you achieve your dreams, then write them out. Your primary tool for creating these vital personal statements will be your own personal reflection. In addition, I will guide you through the process with open-ended questions, selected readings, inventories, and checklists.
- Your Passion Statement (a listing of your most prized interests and concerns).
- Your Personal Gratitude List (a list of everything you can think of that you are grateful for).
- Your Personal Creed (a statement of your core values).
- Your Personal Vision Statement (a clearly stated sketch of who you are and where you want to grow).
- Your Personal Mission Statement (detailing your purpose in life).
- Your Dependable Strengths Profile (a statement of the strengths you have demonstrated in your lifetime).
- Your Personal Preferences Profile (an outline of your preferences in important areas of your life).
- Your Personality Profile (an outline of your personality traits).
- Your Personal Development Plan (a detailed plan of how you will develop the skills you need to succeed, including long- and short-term goals, persons who will assist, resources that will be required, and a time for completion of each task and objective).
- A Force-field Analysis of the restraining and propelling forces in your life (the barriers to your success, and the positive influences around you).